How Do You Turn a Fling into a Relationship?
You’ve been dating casually for a while and enjoyed every minute of it. At some point you realized that you have real feelings for this person, and you want to take it from casual to a real relationship. The trouble is, how do you make that transition without scaring the other person off?
Some of the things you might consider to determine if your fling could become a relationship include:
- Do you trust each other?
- Have you said “I love you”?
- Do you laugh often when you are together?
- Does thinking of the other person bring a smile to your face?
- How do you feel when you see the other person after they’ve been away?
When it comes to the conversations that will help move your relationship forward, casual is a good approach to take. Some people are ready for a straight-forward approach, but if you aren’t sure if that’s the best way, it probably isn’t. You can start your relationship transition by delving deeper in the communication department, but not in a pushy way,
Which Questions to Ask Yourself
Some questions that will help you figure out where your relationship is headed, or could go, will be valuable when you want to take a fling to a relationship. These questions don’t have right or wrong answers, but the answers can help you determine if you could build a real relationship.
- What is the happiest memory you each have of your time together?
- What is the worst memory you each have of your time together?
- Do you miss each other when you are apart?
- What is one thing you each can think of that would improve your relationship?
As your questions get deeper, you should be able to learn whether or not you would really be compatible in a real relationship. If you feel like that is completely possible, then it might be time to ask the questions that bring you to that real relationship. The more you have gotten to know the other person, the more likely you can ask these questions without hurting each other’s feelings.
- Let the other person know that you really like how you feel when you are together. Ask if they feel the same.
- If you both want to spend more time together, go ahead and ask it out loud. Sometimes, the unasked questions is the real barrier!